What are some things you do to keep your home cool in the summer months?
Trying to remember the conventional wisdom but not quite sure how it goes? Those window fans, for example, should they be placed to draw air in or out? And what about windows, shades, and awnings? Are awnings better than shades?
1. Providing east and west sun shades for your windows will make a huge difference. Also on the inside, you might try using white blinds because they wont heat up as quick as dark colored shades.
2. Whenever possible, try to delay heat-generating activities such as dish washing or clothes washing for early morning or late evenings.
3. Keep the house closed tight during the day without any windows open. You can open them at night.
4. Window fans will help keep the home cooler IF the outside air isn’t over 77 degrees.
5. Use ceiling fans. (I leave mine on all day while I’m at work to keep the air circulating).
6. Plant shade trees around the house.
7. If you have an older central air conditioner, consider replacing the outdoor compressor with a modern, high-efficiency unit. Make sure that it is properly matched to the indoor unit. Calling us to perform a check and service on your unit will help you determine if a new unit is necessary.
8. Seal all air conditioner ducts, and insulate ducts that run through unheated basements, crawl spaces, and attics.
9. Keep the thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher if using ceiling fans.
10. Close vents in unused rooms.
11. Hang bamboo or tightly knitted shades outside the windows during the summer to stop 60 to 80 percent of the sun’s heat from getting to the windows.
12. Clean your A/C’s air filter every month during cooling season and then every 3 months at a minimum thereafter.
13. Turn off your A/C when you leave for more than an hour. Using programmable thermostats will let you program the unit to be off or have the temperature set while you are away at work or on vacation.
Eagle Services is your local Plumbers, Electricians and HVAC Technicians. Please visit our website at www.eagleplumbing.net Servicing the entire valley. Give us a call today 480-659-4942